Yegor Bartosh Ukranian Martyr

Yegor Bartosh

July 29, 2022

Senior Sergeant Yegor Bartosh, call sign Echo, died on July 29, 2022, during a terrorist attack in the temporarily occupied village of Olenivka, Donetsk region. A week before that, the defender turned 34.

Yegor was born in Russia, where his parents lived. They divorced when he was 5 years old. His parents gave him the name Azamat, but his grandfather later changed it to Yegor – he was raised by his grandparents in the village of Korniivka, Kyiv region. There he attended school. He had many friends, a cheerful and unstoppable character. After the 8th grade, he entered the Lviv Military Lyceum named after the Heroes of Kruty. Later, he studied at the Kyiv Military Lyceum named after Ivan Bohun. He obtained higher education at the Kyiv National University of Technologies and Design, majoring in engineering economics. He was a handyman. He loved animals and speed. He adored riding his motorcycle.

In 2014, Yegor voluntarily defended Ukraine. He joined the ranks of the Separate Special Purpose Unit “Azov” of the National Guard of Ukraine. He participated in the toughest battles: in 2014 – for Ilovaisk, 2015 – the Shyrokyne operation, 2017 – battles for Maryinka and Krasnohorivka, in 2019 – the defense of the Svitlodarsk bulge.

On February 24, 2022, when the full-scale invasion began, Yegor was in Mariupol. Along with his comrades, he heroically defended the city for 86 days. On May 16, by order of the command, he was forced to leave the Azovstal plant and fell into Russian captivity. The occupiers held Ukrainian defenders in the colony in Olenivka. And then they staged a terrorist attack there.

“A true patriot, Hero of Ukraine, Hero of Mariupol, Hero of Azovstal. Kind, sensitive, cheerful. We will never forget your smile and your jokes. Simply the best. A bright, honest person, a person of conscience, a true friend, brother, grandson, comrade,” – his comrades and step-sister Marina noted.

Yegor was bid farewell on April 25, 2023, at the Baikove Cemetery in Kyiv. According to the Hero’s last will, his body was cremated, and his ashes were scattered in the mountains.

The defender is survived by his grandmother, brother, and aunt.